Tuesday, July 7, 2009

redirected passions

I originally created this blog last year when I went with a team from my school to the middle east. I needed a way to connect with my family and friends and let them know I was alive, without having to send out mass emails or update my facebook page. But as time went on during the trip, and internet seemed to be a rare commodity, I settled for waiting until I returned to tell them all about my time in the ME. Eventhough I absolutely loved my team, our country, the people, and everything else about the trip- I've decided to shift the focus of this blog from what happened there, to what is happening here. So from now on, I will use this as a place to write about where I rode during the day and whatever else is going through my head.

So here it goes: DAY 1: arbor hills nature preserve

After spending all day at the bike shop yesterday getting the final tweaks and kinks worked out on my bike, I was finally able to take my Fuji newest 3.0 out for a spin today. The temperature was only supposed to be 89 degrees, so against warnings from friends and fellow nature preservians, I decided to go all out and spend some time at the park. Although I have a new bike, clipless pedals, shoes and an outfit to go with it, I was completely emberassed when I couldn't figure out how to clip into my pedals. I had just learned how to use them yesterday at the bike shop, but that was on a stationary bike and no one ever said what to do to keep your balance. So there I am. Clinging to the side of my car and praying that I can just get the right angle and clip my pedals in. After 10 agonizing minutes later, I finally clipped in and away I went.

At first I was freaked out. There were several people out walking or running, and lots of cars to avoid on the way to the trail- but I made it. I went around the paved trail once and took a water break. By the time I stopped, I realized it was well over 100 degrees, but I didn't care. I loved my bike and wanted to go for another lap. So I went around again. This time I wasn't gripping the brakes as much or slowing down as much during turns. I was free and unstoppable. Or so I thought.. After a third lap I began to feel the effects of the heat and decided it was time to call it a day.

So although I didn't quite make it 10 miles today, I rediscovered my passion for cycling and how grateful I am to finally have my own bike. I can't wait for the sun to come up tomorrow so I can try a new route and hopefully make it out before the texas heat.

No comments: